In 1900, Mrs Hamilton Ogilvie of Archerfield gifted to the community of Gullane half an acre of her estate for use as a bowling club. She also paid for the preparation of the site and the supply of suitable turf. The original pavilion is believed to have cost around £140.
Gullane Bowling Club was formally established in the following September with 36 playing, and 5 non-playing members. Seven of whom pledged that the Club’s start up costs would be paid off at the rate of £10 per year and the total was paid off within 15 years.
The Club’s first President was Mr JG Beattie JP. While Mr J Sinclair, the local pharmacist, who acted as Treasurer for 51 years set the initial subscriptions at 10/- per season, with visitors being charged 1/- per day.
The Club formally joined East Lothian Bowling Association in 1904.
The pavilion was extended in the 1909/10 close season by the erection of a veranda covering the full extent of the then building. Materials were donated and the work carried out by club members free of charge.
The current Clubhouse was opened in September 1975. The £3,225 cost of the work was raised through grants, donations and a sponsored 24 hour bowling marathon!
Many individuals have brought winning glory to the Club over the years. Their achievements are recorded in the honours boards in the Clubhouse.
Below is an excerpt from the booklet “A GLIMPSE OF GULLANE 1977”, compiled in celebration of the Silver Jubilee of HM Queen Elizabeth II:
President – Mr Jimmie Cockburn, Golyn Cottage, Goose Green
Membership – 42 Men, 35 Ladies, 3 youths
Gullane Bowling Club is a meeting place for the old and young, where the over-seventies and teenagers can compete against one another in a friendly and happy atmosphere. Although not as strong in membership as most clubs in East Lothian, the club can hold their own in most of the competitions. This year the club won the Hackett Cup from Aberlady in a Home and Away match, and was also fourth in the Jubilee Cup which is played for by all the clubs in the county. In the North Berwick Open Singles and Pairs, Davie Balfour reached the final of the singles and Colin Brown and Gus Ferguson reached the final of the pairs. This was very good as competitors also came from Edinburgh and the Borders. Over the Trades Holiday period the club ran four competitions open to all members. The President, Jimmie Cockburn, managed through to three finals, the winners were –
The Bennock Trophy – M. Timson
The McTavish Trophy – D. Montgomery
Nominate Pairs – Mrs Brown and Gus Ferguson
Jumble Pairs – Mrs McDonald and J. Cockburn
Hat nights are held on Mondays and Saturdays when young and old can enjoy the fun of the “fastest green” in the county. In the County Championships, Gullane has a Fours team, Pairs team, and a Senior Fours team through to the last eight. The Club also play on Friday evenings in the Western District League which comprises 16 clubs.